Followers

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hitchcock Comes to the Mahlou Residence

Yes, indeed, it was a Hitchock-like affair at the old Mahlou residence earlier this week. Donnie and I have moved (one of the reasons I have been absent from the blogosphere for the past month -- that and the fact that I just this past week received my replacement computer after three months of repair effort failed, along with a heavy travel schedule, about which I should mention that I am currently traveling, taking a respite for some work in North Carolina before heading to Qatar tomorrow). Perhaps someone out in blogland has a better explanation of what happened to us than my assumption that Hitchcock came to visit. Actually, it was a rooster that came to visit.

After purchasing a new home and moving everything the six blocks south and up to a hilltop, we returned to our old home to clean and pack out a few final items. When we drove up into the driveway, it was already evening. First, we turned on the light in the shed and divided the few items still there for trash or final moving later in the week when we would have a truck. Then we headed to the house. That is when I saw the really big, white rooster strutting into the shed. Shooing him out, I turned off the light and locked the door.

Assuming that the rooster would disappear, not ever having had any visit us before that I could remember while living in this particular house (although we had raised one in our former house), Donnie and I walked up the stairs onto the deck and into the house. As we were cleaning the floor, I heard a knocking at the door. I went to open it, and, to my surprise, it was the rooster pecking at it and urgently wanting to enter.

"Go away now," I tried to shoo him off and closed the door. That did not deter him. Soon, we heard beating at the window. It was the rooster, wanting to come in. Suddenly, it was as is we were being besieged.

Unsure of how to handle the situation and concerned that perhaps the rooster was rabid or crazy, Donnie and I sneaked out the front door and came around to the back, where the deck is, to get into the car. We hoped that the rooster had gone, but no, there he sat, patiently or impatiently waiting. For what?

We think that perhaps he had made friends with our cats and was now missing them. But who knows? We are willing to consider other possible explanations if anyone wants to offer them.

In any event, we drove away. Out of curiosity, I asked Donnie to drive around the block. He did, and when we drove past our house again, the rooster was in the same spot. I suppose, though, he has since left!

We have not returned. Our new house is on a hill overlooking San Ignatio. We are looking forward to some peaceful days and evenings there. At the same time, it is walking distance from the mission, a requirement that made the decision whether or not we would buy a house. This house has it all: proximity to the mission, sweeping views, spacious living (although I am not sure why we need spacious living now that all the kids are grown and gone). Still, it was the house that fell into our hands, so I think we are supposed to have it. At least, I am taking it that way. Besides, crazy roosters don't make it that far up, so we can rest assured that we will not be besieged again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a story about the rooster. I do hope he finds happiness soon somewhere else. My hopes are the same for you in your new home. You are somewhere else too and may your new home be a good choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Star. So far, we really like our new house although I was only in it four days before leaving for the Middle East. Will be back next week, however, and will have the entire month of April to enjoy it before traveling again, God willing.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog